London City Council has identified four priority issues that will require a solid partnership with the next Government of Ontario: Transit and Transportation, Social and Affordable Housing, Poverty and Homeless Prevention, and Environment.
London is striving to become one of the greenest cities in Canada, and City Council is already working on a number of initiatives:
- Major technology improvements at wastewater treatment plants, including the installation of green energy generation systems at Greenway to turn waste heat into electricity.
- Innovative conservation initiatives through the City’s Community Energy Action Plan, including converting to LED bulbs and adding electric vehicles to the City’s fleet.
- Reducing the risk of basement flooding through municipal infrastructure upgrades and home basement flooding protection subsidy programs.
- Protecting the Thames River and Great Lakes by championing the Lake Erie Action Plan for phosphorous reduction.
- Closing gaps in the Thames Valley Parkway trail system, better connecting the entire city through active transportation.
- Investing in London’s unique neighbourhoods through Community Improvement Plans and NeighbourGood initiatives.
Questions For Candidates:
1. How will your party help us become greener and more sustainable?
2. How will you support London’s efforts to become one of Canada’s greenest cities?